There are many talented and intelligent people, public figures, who, one way or another, represent the US around the world. While everybody knows a few things about their activity, few know their birthplace or where they lived in different periods of their life. From this point of view, you would be surprised to find out how many famous people were born in Connecticut or were residents of this state.
Famous Connecticut Politicians
- George W. Bush – The eldest son of another prominent statesman, the former US president George H. W. Bush, he was born on July 6th, 1946, in New Haven. His political career includes a mandate as a governor of Texas and two consecutive terms as president of the US. The terrorist attacks from 9/11 2001, the military campaigns against Afghanistan and Iraq, along with the financial crisis that began in 2008, are some of the most important events that marked the period Bush spent as the head of Administration.
- Henry Kissinger – Born in the town of Furth, in Bavaria, Germany, he was a resident of Kent, Connecticut, for the greatest part of his life as an US citizen. Considered one of the most influential figures of the American and world diplomacy, Kissinger held the position of Secretary of State during the Nixon and Ford administrations. In 1973, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for the role he played in putting an end to the Vietnam War.
Well-Known Writers Who Lived in Connecticut
- Mark Twain – One of the most famous American authors, he owned a house in Hartford, where he lived for 20 years. During this time, he wrote two of his masterpieces, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthurs Court also dates from this period.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe – Known for writing Uncle Tom’s Cabin, the novel that played a great role in intensifying the efforts for the abolition of slavery, she was born in the town of Litchfield, Connecticut, in 1811. Together with her husband, reverend Calvin Stowe, she was one of the important pillars of the abolitionist movement, her literary work reflecting her ideas.
Other Celebrities Living in Connecticut
- Bruce Jenner – As an athlete, he is mostly known for being the Decathlon gold medalist at the 1976 Summer Olympic Games, in Montreal. However, he is also famous for starring in CHiPs, a TV series with an enormous success to the public in the 1980s.
- Meg Ryan – The roles she played in When Harry Met Sally, Addicted to Love or Sleepless in Seattle brought her fame and fortune, but only few people know that the actress spent the greatest part of her childhood in Fairfield.